In 2015 it became clear that the physical fabric of St Chad's church building was in need of urgent and extensive repair.
The work identified includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- The replacement of the secondary glazing for the majority of the church windows in order to protect the historic and beautiful stained glass. Photographs below show some of the windows and the extent of the decay.
- To re-fix loose and slipped slates and to replace missing slates throughout the roof
- To re-fix loose sections of guttering
- To install an indoor toilet for parishioners' use
- To replace the church flooring
To complete the work it is estimated that a fund of around £50,000 will be needed. In the autumn of 2015 Fr Robinson made an appeal to the parish setting out the renovations required and the funds that have to be raised. So far parishioners have responded very generously. The totaliser alongside shows the most recent update of the amount raised. As you can see there is still a way to go.
Fr Robinson also established a Heritage Fund Committee to oversee and provide governance for the fund. A list of the members of the Committee is on display at the back of church. If anyone would like a copy of these details please email the address on the Contact Us page.
Expenses to date
Sanctuary Lamp refurbishment £ 600.00
Side Chapel spotlights £ 315.34
Exterior paving leading to rear office £1625.00
Church railings - to date £ 160.27
External window frames £9600.00
- If you would like to help secure the future of this beautiful and historic church, please make a contribution to St Chad's Heritage Fund in any of the following ways:
- Donate on-line via the BT MyDonate button below - 100% of your donation will go to the St Chad's heritage fund although a nominal amount will be taken from donations made by by Credit/Debit cards.
- Post to: Fr Bill Simpson, St Chad's RC Church, 237 Town Lane, Whittle-le-Woods, Chorley, Lancashire, PR6 8AJ
- If you live locally you can drop an envelope with your offering through the presbytery letter box - please ensure to clearly mark the envelope 'St Chad's Heritage Fund'.
If you would like to contribute by bank transfer please phone the presbytery - 01257 270162 for details
Please make cheques payable to 'St Chad's Parish Account'.
If you would like to get involved with fundraising initiatives please contact Fr Simpson in person, by phone: 01257 270162, by email: email@example.com or please speak to a parishioner or a member of the Committee for more information.
Fundraising activities will be publicised in the weekly newsletter which can be read on this website.
Our sincere thanks for whatever you can do to help us.